Alvin C. Miester III
Alvin C. Miester, III is a Member in the New Orleans law firm of Sher Garner Cahill Richter Klein & Hilbert, L.L.C. where he practices in the areas of Commercial Real Estate; Business Law; Construction and Design Law; Leasing; Retail Development; Restaurant Law; Shopping Center Development; Commercial Finance; Zoning and Land Use and Title Insurance. He received his B.S. degree in economics from the University of New Orleans, New Orleans, Louisiana in 1990 and his J.D. degree from the Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1993, where he was on the Louisiana Law Review from 1991 – 1993. Mr. Miester is a member of the American Bar Association, Louisiana State Bar Association and New Orleans Bar Association.
Alvin is a member of the Real Property Committee of the New Orleans Bar Association and the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the American Bar Association. From 2002-2003 Mr. Miester served as Vice-Chair of the Young Lawyers Division, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Committee for the American Bar Association. Currently, he is Secretary/Treasurer of the Trust, Estate, Probate and Immovable Property Law Section of the Louisiana Bar Association.
Mr. Miester represents a variety of corporate and individual clients in the areas of commercial real estate development, land use planning and zoning regulation, real estate sales and leasing and real estate finance.
Alvin frequently speaks at seminars on the topics of title, leasing and other real estate issues. Some classes/seminars taught include: Zoning and Land Use Planning, National Business Institute, 1999; Keys to Success in a Real Estate Transaction, National Business Institute, 2000; Evictions: Residential and Commercial in Louisiana, Lorman Educational Services, 2000; Mastering Real Estate Titles and Title Insurance in Louisiana, National Business Institute, 2002 – 2003; Louisiana Real Estate Title Law: Problems and Solutions, National Business Institute, 2004; Boundary Law, Lorman Educational Services, 2008, Louisiana Leases, Lorman Educational Services, 2009; Louisiana Leases, Stirling Educational Services; New Orleans Bar Association, Procrastinators Program, New Orleans Master Plan and Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance 2009, 2010 and 2012; Chicago Title Insurance Company Agents’ Seminar, Louisiana Update 2007 and 2008.
Mr. Miester has an AV overall peer rating through Martindale.com and has been recognized in Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Real Estate Law and Real Estate Litigation.
Alvin is a member of the Knights of Columbus; the Urban Land Institute; the Boy Scouts of America, the Project Homecoming Project Development Committee and the Hynes Charter School Corporation, a Type III Charter School in Orleans Parish where he is President of the Board of Directors.
He is married with three children.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate
- Business Law
- Construction and Design Law
- Retail Development
- Restaurant Law
- Shopping Center Development
- Commercial Finance
- Zoning and Land Use and Title Insurance
- Louisiana, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1995
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. - 1993
- Law Review: Louisiana Law Review, 1991 - 1993
- University of New Orleans, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- B.S. - 1990
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Economics
- Land Use Planning CLE, National Business Institute, 1999
- Keys to Success in a Real Estate Transaction, National Business Institute, 2000
- Evictions: Residential and Commercial in Louisiana, Lorman Educational Services, 2000
- Mastering Real Estate Titles and Title Insurance in Louisiana, National Business Institute, 2002 - 2003
- Louisiana Real Estate Title Law: Problems and Solutions, National Business Institute, 2004
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America since 2010 with special designations, during 2017 or a prior year, in Litigation - Real Estate, Real Estate Law, 2010-2017
- The Louisiana Appleseed Good Apple Award, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Knights of Columbus, 1998 - Present
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute
- Young Leadership Council
- Toastmasters International
Past Employment Positions
- Person & Miester, Partner, 1996 - 1998