John T. Balhoff, II, a member of the firm, was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1971. He attended college at the University of Notre Dame and graduated from there, cum laude, in 1993, receiving a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in finance. Mr. Balhoff received his Juris Doctor degree from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University in 1996.
Mr. Balhoff presently is admitted to the Louisiana Bar and he also is admitted to practice before all United States District Courts in Louisiana as well as the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Balhoff has experience in trial before Louisiana district courts and in oral arguments before Louisiana's district and appellate courts, including the Louisiana Supreme Court, and before various federal courts, including the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Balhoff also has experience in arbitration. His legal practice includes the areas of title litigation, commercial litigation, foreclosures, environmental and toxic tort, insurance defense, premises liability, securities litigation, construction litigation and automobile liability. He is a member of the Federal, New Orleans, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations.
Mr. Balhoff is a member of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, and he has been an active member of the Young Lawyers Section of the New Orleans Bar Association. He also is a member of the American Bar Association Title Insurance Litigation Committee. Mr. Balhoff is also an active member of St. Stephen Parish, and an officer in the Notre Dame Club of New Orleans. Mr. Balhoff enjoys spending time with his wife and three children.
- In re LeBlanc, 593 B.R. 734, 2018, Bankr. E.D. La.
- CCNO McDonough 16, LLC v. R4 MCNO Acquisition, LLC, 259 So. 3d 1077 , 2018, La. App. 4th Cir.
- Seilham v. Commonwealth Land Title Ins. Co., 360 F. Supp. 3d 412, 2018, E.D. La.
- Mooring Tax Asset Group, L.L.C. v. James, 156 So. 3d 1143 , 2014, La.
- Breaux v. Cozy Cottages, LLC, 151 So. 3d 183, 2014, La. App. 3d Cir.
- Carmen Group, Inc. v. Xavier Univ. of La., 41 F. Supp. 3d 8 , 2014, D.D.C.
- Martin v. Fidelity Nat’l Title Ins. Co., 537 F. App’x 597, 2013, 5th Cir.
- Green Trails, LLC v. Stewart Title of La., Inc., 111 So. 3d 14, 2012, La. App. 1st Cir.
- Chase Bank USA, N.A. v. Webeland, Inc., 98 So. 3d 823, 2012, La.
- In re Katrina Canal Breaches Litig., 696 F.3d 436, 2012, 5th Cir.
- First Nat'l Bank, USA v. DDS Constr., LLC, 91 So. 3d 944 , 2012, La.
- Aberta, Inc. v. Atkins, 89 So. 3d 1161 , 2012, La.
- Crews & Assoc.’s, Inc. v. Nuveen High Yield Mun. Bond Fund, 783 F. Supp. 2d 1066 , 2011, E.D. Ark.
- Wede v. Niche Marketing USA, LLC, 52 So. 3d 60, 2010, La.
- In re Katrina Canal Breaches Litig., 620 F.3d 455, 2010, 5th Cir.
- Boudreaux v. Able Supply Co., 19 So. 3d 1263, 2009, La. App. 3d Cir.
- Walker v. Avondale Indus., Inc., 999 So. 2d 735, 2009, La.
- Brown v. Manhattan Life Ins. Co., 791 So. 2d 74, 2001, La.
- Waguespack, Seago & Carmichael (APLC) v. Lincoln, 768 So. 2d 287, 2000, La. App. 1st Cir.
- Rineheart v. Ciba-Geigy Corp., 190 F.R.D. 197, 1999, M.D. La., 1999251990
- Adams v. J.E. Merit Constr., Inc., 712 So. 2d 88, 1998, La.
- Young v. Bichan P'ship, 709 So. 2d 794, 1997, La. App. 5th Cir.
- Best Lawyers in America since 2012 with special designations in Commercial Litigation, Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, 2012-2020
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2017-2019
Classes & Seminars
- Presented "Examination of Curative Actions Available to Obtain Clear Title" and "Application of Corrective Tools to Obtain Marketable Title", National Business Institute Seminar on Examining and Resolving Title Issues, October 2010
- Presented and authored "Coverage Issues," "Initial Considerations for the Adjuster," and "Settlement Issues," National Business Institute Seminar on Handling the Automobile Injury Claim in Louisiana, January 2002
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member, 1996
- American Bar Association, Member, 1996
- American Bar Association, Title Insurance Litigation Committee, Member, 2009
- Federal Bar Association, New Orleans Chapter, Member, 2009
- Federal Bar Association, New Orleans Chapter, Board of Directors, 2009
- New Orleans Bar Association, Member, 2002
- New Orleans Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, Director, 2002 to 2006
- St. Thomas More Catholic Lawyers' Association, 2010
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Graduate, 2000
- McGlinchey Stafford, Associate, 1996 to 1999
- New Orleans Pro Bono Project-Volunteer
- Commercial Litigation
- Title Litigation
- Environmental and Toxic Tort
- Insurance Defense
- Premises Liability
- Securities Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Automobile Liability
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. - 00/1996
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
- B.B.A. - 00/1993
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Finance
- Louisiana, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1996
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1996
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1996
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1996
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Arkansas, 2010
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 2012
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee, 2013