Mr. Force practices in the areas of commercial litigation, admiralty, and complex insurance defense and coverage law and has represented clients at both the trial and appellate levels. Mr. Force is admitted to practice in Louisiana, Texas, and California and has practiced with law firms in each of those states. Mr. Force is a member of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, having served on its Board of Directors and as Chair of the MLA's Practice and Procedure and Young Lawyers Committees. He is the Editor-in-Chief of Benedict on Admiralty and Benedict's Maritime Bulletin, and the Secretary/Treasurer of the Tulane Admiralty Law Institute as well as a member of its Program and Planning Committees and National Advisory Board. Mr. Force is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Tulane Law School and teaches a course in Marine Pollution. Mr. Force received his Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Haverford College. Upon graduating from law school, Mr. Force served as a law clerk to the Honorable W. Eugene Davis of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Versai Management Corp. v. Clarendon America Ins. Co., 597 F.2d 729 , 2010, 5th Cir.
- Morrell v. Alfortish, No. 10-924, WL 4668429 , 2010, E.D. La.
- Safety Nat'l Cas. Corp. v. Certain Underwriters at Loyd's, London, 587 F.3d 714, 2009, 5th Cir.
- Canal 66 Partnership v. United States, 87 Fed. Cl. 722 , 2009
- Jeansonne v. New York Life Ins., 11 So. 3d 1160, 2009, La. App. 3 Cir.
- Doe v. Tangipahoa Parish School Board, 494 F.3d 494 , 2007, 5th Cir.
- Poteet v. American Bankers Insurance Co., WL 3124699, 2007, E.D.La
- Travelers Cas. & Sur. Co. of America v. Wright Ins. Agency Inc., 404 F.3d 927, 2005, 5th Cir.
- LaSalle Bank, N.A. v. Mobile Hotel Properties, LLC, 367 F. Supp. 2d 1022, 2004, E.D. La.
- Gravolet v. Fair Grounds Corp., 878 So. 2d 900, 2004, La. App. 4 Cir.
- Warn v. M/Y MARIDOME, 169 F.3d 625, 1999, 9th Cir.
- Warn v. M/Y MARIDOME, 961 F.Supp. 1357, 1997, S.D. Cal.
- Lecy v. Bayliner Marine Corp., 973 P.2d 1110, 94 Wash.App. 949, 1999, Wash. Ct. App.
- Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co. v. Vessel DRIVE OCEAN V, 2000 A.M.C. 1958, 1998, S.D. Cal.
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigator in America, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America since 2008 with special designations, during 2021 or a prior year, in Admiralty and Maritime Law, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Banking and Finance Litigation, Real Estate Litigation, 2021 - 2022
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2021 - 2022
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America, 2021-2022
- Monte M. Lemann Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching, Tulane Law School, 2017
- CityBusiness Leadership in Law Honoree, 2014
- Anne Goldsmith Hanaw and J. Jerome Hanaw Tikkun Olam Award for Campaign Excellence, 2011, Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans
- Daniel R. Ginsberg Leadership Award, 2008, Anti-Defamation League
- Margot and Herbert J. Garon Young Leadership Award, 2007, Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans
- Barney D. Mintz Leadership Award, 2005, Anti-Defamation League, South Central Region
- 2023 Best Lawyers Award
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Tulane University School of Law, 2017 to Present
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Law, Tulane University School of Law, 2014 to 2017
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Law, Tulane University School of Law, 2010 to 2014
- Adjunct Lecturer in Law, Tulane University School of Law, 2007 to 2010
- Adjunct Lecturer in Law, Marine Pollution, Tulane University School of Law, 2004, 2007
- “General Principles of Indemnity and Contribution Under the General Maritime Law of the United States: Charter Parties and Other Maritime Contracts,” Tulane-Oslo-Southampton Colloquium on “Indemnities, Recourse and Collaterals in Chartering,” October 2-3, 2012, Oslo, Norway
- “Marine Pollution,” Tulane Maritime Law Smorgasbord, December 10-11, 2009
- “State Attachment and Garnishment Procedures in Maritime Matters,” Pacific Admiralty Seminar, The Bar Association of San Francisco, California, 10/06/2006 to 10/06/2006
- “The Preemption Doctrine and Maritime Law,” 20th New Orleans Fall Maritime Law Seminar, Tulane Law School, 10/18/2002 to 10/18/2002
- “High Court Reviews Death from Boat Propeller,” NPR Radio Interview, 10/15/2002 to 10/15/2002
- “Ship Arrest and Attachment in the U.S.,” Ship Arrest Seminar, Lloyd's List Events, Lloyd's Maritime Training Programme, 2001 to 2001
- “Allocation and Trigger in the Context of Long-Tail Litigation,” Insurance Law in Louisiana, Lorman Education Series, 2000 to 2000
- “'Default Remedies,' Evictions: Residential and Commercial in Louisiana”, Lorman Education Series, 2000 to 2000
- “Recent Developments in Marine Insurance Law,” Maritime Law Association, Fall Meeting, October 14,1999
- Certificate in Civil/Commercial & Employment Mediation Training, Mediation Institute, 2017
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, 1994 to Present
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Board of Directors, 2009 to 2012
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Marine Insurance and General Average Committee, Secretary, 1998 to 2004
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Practice and Procedure Committee, Chair, 2008 - 2012, Vice Chair, 2004 to 2008
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Young Lawyers Committee, Chair, 2001- 2003, Secretary, 1999-2001
- Tulane Admiralty Law Institute, National Advisory Board 2005 - Present; Planning and Program Committees, 2007 - Present; Secretary/Treasurer, 2014 - Present
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, 1993 to Present
- Houston Mariners Club, 1993 to 2008
- American Maritime Cases, Editorial Fellow, 1999 to 2017
- Benedict on Admiralty, Editor-in-Chief, 2012 – Present
- Benedict's Maritime Bulletin, Editorial Board, 2003 – 2012; Managing Editor, 2009 – 2012
- Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft, LLP, Partner, 1999-2000
- Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft, LLP, Associate, 1997-1998
- Lane Powell Spears Lubersky LLP, Associate, 1995-1997
- Vinson & Elkins L.L.P., Associate, 1992-1995
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Hon. W. Eugene Davis, Law Clerk, 1991-1992
- Evolution of Marine Pollution Law, 1966-2016, 91 Tul. L. Rev. 1009 (2017) (with Antonio J. Rodriguez, Michael A. Harowski, and David A. Freedman)
- The Criminalization of Marine Pollution Under U.S. Law, 15 Benedict's Maritime Bulletin 1, First Quarter, 2017
- Deepwater Horizon: Removal Costs, Civil Damages, Crimes, Civil Penalties and State Remedies in Oil Spill Cases, 85 Tul. L. Rev. 889 (2011) (with Profs. Robert Force and Martin Davies)
- State Attachment and Garnishment Procedures in Maritime Matters: A Primer, 20 U.S.F. Mar. L.J. 1 (2007-2008)
- Sprietsma v. Mercury Marine: The Supreme Court Misses the Boat on Maritime Preemption, 27 Tul. Mar. L.J. 389 (2003)
- Commercial Litigation
- Complex Insurance Defense
- Coverage Law
- Harvard University Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 00/1991
- Honors: Addison Brown Prize
- Haverford College, Haverford, PA
- B.A. - 00/1988
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Russian (With Honors)
- Texas, 1991
- Louisiana, 1992
- California, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1995
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1995
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1996
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 2000
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 2001
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2009