Peter L. Hilbert, Jr. is a Member of the firm. He obtained a B.A. degree from the University of New Orleans and obtained his J.D. degree from Tulane University Law School in 1977. Mr. Hilbert was admitted to the Louisiana Bar in 1977 and is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the New Orleans Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, the Maritime Law Association of the United States (member, Committee on Marine Insurance, Sub-Committee on P&I Insurance, 1984 to present), the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, the Mariners Club of the Port of New Orleans, the Houston Mariners Club and the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel.
He was an Adjunct Professor of Law, Trial Advocacy, at Tulane University School of Law and has served as an instructor for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Gulf Coast Region. Mr. Hilbert is admitted to practice in all Louisiana state and federal courts, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court. He authored "Inland Marine Leg of Intermodal Transportation, International Bar Association Meeting," October 1993; "Injuries in the Workplace in Louisiana," November, 1993; and "Bad Faith Litigation in Louisiana," March, 1995 and January, 1996.
Mr. Hilbert has been an active litigator, operating in civil litigation, regularly participating in both jury and bench trials. He has been selected for inclusion by Super Lawyers since 2009, and by Best Lawyers since 2009 in the areas of Admiralty & Maritime Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Construction, Litigation-Environment and Personal Injury Litigation.
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- J.D. - 00/1977
- University of New Orleans
- B.A. - 00/1974
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Faculty, Trial Advocacy, Tulane University, 00/00/1988
- Instructor, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Gulf Coast Region, 00/00/1990 to 00/00/1990
- Author and Lecturer, Injuries in the Workplace in Louisiana, National Business Institute, Inc., 00/00/1993 to 00/00/1993
- The Marine Leg of Intermodal Transportation, International Bar Association, 00/00/1993 to 00/00/1993
- Bad Faith Litigation in Louisiana, National Business Institute, Inc., 00/00/1995 to 00/00/1995
- Bad Faith Litigation in Louisiana, National Business Institute, Inc., 00/00/1996 to 00/00/1996
- Tulane Maritime Law Center, Board of Advisors, Member
- Tulane Maritime Law Center, Committee of Advisors, Member
- Tulane Maritime Law Center, Endowment Committee, Member
- Mariners Club of the Port of New Orleans, Member, 1979 to 1979
- Houston Mariners Club, Member, 1984 to 1984
- New Orleans Bar Associations, Member
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Board of Directors, New Orleans Chapter, Member, 1995 to 1998
- American Bar Association, Member
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Member
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Committee of Marine Insurance, General Average and Salvage, Subcommittee on P & I Insurance, Member, 1984 to 1984
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Member
- Louisiana Association of Insurance Defense Counsel, Member
- Louisiana Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Maritime Law
- Construction Litigation
- Energy Law
- Insurance Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Toxic Tort Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Louisiana, 1977
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1977
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1977
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- Best Lawyers in America since 2009 with special designations, during 2020 or a prior year, in Admiralty and Maritime Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Construction, Litigation – Environmental, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, 2009-2020
- Louisiana Super Lawyers
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- Victory Energy Operations, L.L.C. v. Rain CII Carbon, L.L.C., 335 P.3d 809, 2014, Okla. Civ. App.
- Greenspoon Marder, P.A. v. Andry Law Firm, LLC, WL 1681979, 2014, E.D.La
- In re Katrina Canal Breaches Consol. Litigation, WL 3815670 , 2012, E.D.La
- Active Solutions, L.L.C. v. Dell, Inc., 73 So.3d 934, 2011, La.App. 4 Cir.
- Great American Ins. Co. of New York v. CIMA Companies, Inc., WL 6180030 , 2011, E.D.La
- Taylor v. Tesco Corp. (US), WL 4007873 , 2011, S.D. Tex.
- Powell v. Pride Offshore, Inc., WL 2981352 , 2011, E.D.La
- Powell v. Pride Offshore, Inc., WL 2457689 , 2011, E.D.La
- Powell v. Pride Offshore, Inc., WL 2293238 , 2011, E.D.La
- Safeguard Storage Properties, L.L.C. v. Donahue Favret Contractors, Inc., WL 1226419 , 2011, La.App. 4 Cir.
- Richards v. Board of Com’rs of the Port of New Orleans, WL 322197 , 2011, La.App.4Cir.
- Taylor v. Tesco Corp. (US), WL 4539394 , 2010, E.D.La
- Vaughn Medical Equipment Repair Service, L.L.C. v. Jordan Reses Supply Co., WL 3488244 , 2010, E.D.La
- Barham, Warner & Bellamy, L.L.C. v. Strategic Alliance Partners, L.L.C., WL 2105889 , 2010, La.App. 4 Cir.
- Ben-Trei Fertilizer Co., L.L.C. v. Celtic Marine Corp., WL 532821 , 2010, E.D.La
- Ben-Trei Fertilizer Co., L.L.C. v. Celtic Marine Corp., WL 431696 , 2010, E.D.La
- CF Industries v. Ben-Trei, Ltd., WL 2765972 , 2009, E.D. IL
- Ben-Trei Fertilizer Co., L.L.C. v. Keytrade North American Inc., WL 2579354, 2009, M.D.Fla.
- Jeasonne v. New York Life Ins. Co., 11 So.3d 1160, 2009, La.App. 3 Cir
- Liberty Surplus Ins. Corp. v. Patriot Asphlat, LLC, WL 455600, 2009, S.D.Ala.
- McGhee v. Pride Offshore, Inc., WL 2597925, 2008, E.D.La.
- Greenfield Commercial Credit, L.L.C. v. Catlettsburg Refining, 2007 WL 97068, 61 UCC Rep.Serv.2d 755, 2007, E.D. La.
- McGhee v. Pride Offshore, Inc., WL 4144955, 2007, E.D.La.
- Dillard University v. Lexington Ins. Co., 466 F.Supp.2d 723, 2006 WL 2850014, 2006, E.D.La.
- City of New Orleans' Dept. of Finance v. Touro Infirmary, 905 So.2d 314, 2005, La.App.4Cir.
- Lee v. Clinical Research Center of Florida, L.C., 889 So.2d 317, 2004, La.App. 4 Cir.
- Blessey Marine Services Inc. v. Houston Marine Services Inc., 75 Fed.Appx. 232, 2003, E.D.La.
- Singleton v. Northfield Ins. Co., 826 So.2d 55, 2002, La.App. 1 Cir.
- Equitable Equipment Co. v. Director, Office of Worker's Compensation Programs,, 191 F.3d630, 1999, 5th Cir.
- Casper Maine, Inc. v. Seatrans Shipping Corp., 969 F.Supp. 395, 1997, E.D.La.
- Complaint of Christiansen Marine, Inc., WL 616188, 1996, E.D.Va.
- Insurance Co. of North America v. West of England Shipowners Mut. Ins. Ass'n, 890 F.Supp. 1296, 1995, E.D.La.
- Insurance Co. of North America v. West of England Shipowners Mut. Ins. Ass'n, 890FSupp. 1302, 1995, E.D.La.
- Smith v. Gretna Mach. and Iron Works, 646 So.2d 1096, 1994, La.App. 5 Cir
- Hebert v. Exxon Corp., 953 F.2d 936, 1992, 5th Cir.(La.)
- Ashley v. Epic Divers, Inc., 818 F.Supp. 172, 1991, E.D.La
- Fanguy v. Dupre Bros. Const. Co., Inc., 588 So.2d 1251, 1991, La.App. 1 Cir.
- Weaver v. Kitchens, 570 So.2d 508, 1990, La.App. 5 Cir.
- Weaver v. Kitchens, 556 So.2d 120, 1990, La.App. 5 Cir